Home Tab

Book Now

For the best rate guaranteed call us on 08456 038 892

About Us

The great Grinkle Park Estate belonged for centuries to the Conyers-Middleton family and its descendants. The ‘seat’ of Grinkle was then an old Mansion House, until the arrival of one of the great Industrialists of the Victorian era, Sir Charles Mark Palmer, whose influence on the area was enormous.

Charles Mark Palmer 1822-1907 was an example of industrial genius founding enterprises such as the transportation of coal and coke, the mining of iron stone, the manufacture of iron and steel. He was also the world’s largest ship builder of the time.
His motto was 'Par Sit Fortuna Labor' - let the success be equal to the labour.
In 1865 Charles Palmer bought the Grinkle Park Estate that was then considered to be in poor condition and not suitable for cultivation. In the following years he also bought up neighbouring lands, improved the cultivation employing many local people, and expanded the Estate to some 3000 acres.

In 1881 the old mansion of Grinkle was demolished and Alfred Waterhouse was commissioned to build a house befitting the wealthy and now titled landowner, Sir Charles Palmer. This is the Grinkle Park we know now, and the arms of the Palmer family can still be found over the entrance porch.

Contact the hotel

Call direct on 01287 640515 (Low Cost Call)

Email us now